2020 Influenza Vaccination (flu shot)
We are pleased to announce that we have the 2020 flu vaccines in stock at Revita Medical and Skin Clinic. We encourage everyone to ring to book in for flu vaccine and don’t make online appointments.
The flu or influenza is a highly infectious viral disease that can lead to severe illness and life-threatening complications once contracted. It is normally spread by respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
The data from ABS show that the flu causes more than 3,000 deaths and 18,000 hospitalisations in Australia each year. The flu may give rise to the following symptoms: fever, muscle and joint pain, body ache, extreme exhaustion, tiredness, chills, sore throat and a stuffy nose.
Immunisation provides a very effective protection against getting and spreading the flu. Yearly flu vaccination is recommended because the virus is constantly mutating, and the vaccine changes accordingly every year.
Who are eligible for a free flu vaccine?
In accordance with The Australian Government’s National Immunisation Program, free flu vaccines are available to the following group of people:
- People aged 65 and older
- Pregnant women (safe in pregnancy)
- All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months or over
- People aged 6 months and older with medical conditions that put them at risk of complications from the flu. Following are some example of eligible medical condition
- People who are on immunosuppressant medications including prednisolone
- Neurologic and neurodevelopmental condition: MS, Cerebral palsy
- Cancer patient
- Heart disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic Liver Disease
- Children 6mo to less than 5 years old.
Cost of flu vaccine if you are not eligible?
Paid flu vaccines are also available for non-eligible group of people. The cost of vaccine is 18.00 AUD.
In the wake of COVID 19, we advise everyone to consider getting flu vaccination done. The flu shot does not offer protection against COVID19, however, it will help minimise the spread of the flu in the community and keep the vulnerable individuals safe during Australian winter months. Please be strict with social distancing measures, hand hygiene and personal protective measures.